2018/10/27

[Misc]
Just throwing this out if it might interest anyone, although the actual text on the artwork is in swedish.

I had the opportunity to run a “Werewolf-esque activity” for a group of teens a few weeks ago, and decided to try out Two Rooms and a Boom after I’d seen Shut Up & Sit Downs video of it.

Though I did find the theming to be a problem; the gameplay is a bit too playful and lighthearted for a theme that is basically about a terrorist/suicide bomber taking out a president. I felt that the theme could make some people feel very uncomfortable. And since I had to translate the game to Swedish anyway I just went a bit further and rethemed it to a pulpy Maffia theme.

The artwork was not a priority in this case, I just threw something together that was readable and looked okay- I was not trying out any interesting designs. Although I did only have access to a B&W printer so I had to design around that limitation, which was somewhat fun.

To make the cards I basically printed the back of the cards on bristol boards and the face of the card on regular copying paper and then glued the two pieces together. I was pretty naive and thought it was gonna be a much quicker process than it was, the cutting process itself was almost a day’s work (although I had no fancy tools, just a box knife). To protect the cards, and just make them altogether easier to handle, I also sleeved them.

After I honestly spent too much time designing and making actually pretty decent quality cards I decided that I might as well turn it into a proper “game” with a box and a translated rulebook.

Since I have previously worked at a print shop I knew how to design the blueprint for the box itself, but I struggled a lot to transfer the digital box blueprint into a physical object without a cutting machine of some sort. I ended up printing out the plans on several sheets of paper and then tracing the blueprint onto a sheet of corrugated cardboard and then crease and cut the box from those plans. I wrapped the finished box with label paper which I had printed some graphics onto. The box was finished off by some searators that I made using a similar method as the cards, and with a really simple rule booklet.

Post a Comment